Proposal For A New Children’s Village
Our proposed site for our new children’s village is in New Boma to the southwest of the main town. In April 2019, at our request Article 25, travelled to Boma to conduct a Feasibility Study on our proposed children’s village. They have devised a draft design brief for us based on their research and consultations with our Irish team, our team in Tanzania and our children. Crucial to the brief is the precedent of housing children in small nuclear families or ‘cottages’, a model favoured by all at Tír na nÓg.
The following are the proposals:-
- Capacity For Up To 50‘Permanent’ Children, Housed Across 5 Individual ‘Cottages’, Each With 10 Children And 1 ‘Mama’, Or Live-In Carer.
- Capacity For Up To 20 Children In ‘Short Stay’ Accommodation. This ‘Cottage’ Would Be Staffed By 2 ‘Mamas’.
- Staff Housing For 4 Further Staff; I.E. Social Worker, Cook, Security Guard, Cleaner.
- Guesthouse With 4 Double Rooms.
- Shared Social Space (This Will Comprise Of A Generous Dining Hall That Could Be Used For Dance, Drama, Etc.
- Dedicated Rooms For Tv And For Music, Along With A Quieter Study Space That Could Double As A Library.
- Administration Block, Comprising Of A Series Of Offices For Management And Staff
- A Laundry
- Appropriate Toilets And Storage Facilities Have Also Been Included.
As part of this feasibility study Article 25 have analysed likely costs for the proposed project, and compiled an outline cost estimate for the Children’s Village:-
Children’s Village Construction Costs
|Admin Building & Security Post||€93,730|
*These are outline costs based on the concept design proposals. The costs include landscaping, site utilities, furniture and VAT.